History Visitor In School or go on a Trip?
History Visitor In School
The Specialists have been full time, professional Living History school visitors for well over a decade, delivering thousands of workshops. We can offer some helpful hints on how to choose a suitable professional to visit your school.
Firstly, why should you book a visitor into school when there are many amazing places to visit which may be relevant to your topic?
- No coach hire costs
- The day is planned for you, risk-assessed and proven many times over
- Value for money – we can keep around 100 children busy all day with one set fee – no charging per head, per workshop as many museums and venues do
- There is no time wasted moving children from one location to another
- School structure – Children left in their own environment may well be more ready to learn – without their expectations for a normal day being challenged
- The Gift Shop! No pressure on parents to provide money to be spent on trinkets which actually become a focus and just distract from the learning on the day
- We offer a hands on service – various handling sessions and/or practical aspects to sessions and no ‘Don’t Touch’ signs
What can you expect from a good school visitor?
- Subject knowledge – we field as many questions as we can throughout the day. We constantly research and top up our subject knowledge
- Presentation skills – we work fully in role to truly bring history to life
- Authentic costume and artefacts/props
- Risk Assessments; planning; invoices; rapid responses to enquiries
- Credentials – this business is unregulated. Some visitors will be part time re-enactors or enthusiasts. Our sessions were all planned by Greg who is a qualified teacher (QTS) and we have both been full time Specialists for over a decade
- Child-friendly planning and delivery
- Teacher-friendly support materials!
- DBS checks
How can you help a History School visitor on the day?
- Parking! We move a lot of heavy kit into and back out of school usually single-handedly and throughout the day. A reserved parking spot close to the best entrance is a must
- Behaviour Management – you know your kids. You are much better placed as the class teacher to help them get the most from the day by controlling them and we do appreciate it
- Staffing – we cannot be left alone with classes for legal reasons but when teachers invest in the day, join in and interact with children during handling sessions, it makes a huge difference
- Dressing Up – children and if possible adults dressed up really makes the day special
- SEN – please let us know about any special needs and we will do our best to aid children’s learning
- Back up plans – very rarely, we have been forced to re-schedule workshops due to heavy snow for instance so it is helpful to be prepared
Inspiring a Love of History
We feel lucky to do what we do and enjoy inspiring a love of History in the next generation. We hope to visit your school in the near future. Please contact us if you have any comments or enquiries on: firstname.lastname@example.org